Saturday 24 October 2015

OUGD504 | STUDIO BRIEF 3 | GRID SYSTEMS

Today we looked at grid systems and did a workshop about how they can be used. We created our own version of the golden ratio, and used to to create columns and rows. We also looked at the Van de Graff canon, a grid system used to construct an area of text in the page which is visually pleasing. This is what I produced this session:




I found it really useful to draw out my own versions of these grids and to see how they are actually made.

For my project, I need to consider the use of a grid to ensure that each page layout is the same, or has some consistency. As I am using images and text, they need to be placed in a way that relates to each other or the publication won't flow.



I experimented with a few different grids on photoshop:




The third grid is probably the most effective, as it has a space for the images, and the text can be aligned with either of the horizontal lines. A simpler grid is usually better to work with, as it allows more flexibility within the spread. 

There are many reasons to use a grid, but there also reasons not to. Here are some pros and cons:

Pros -
  • Allows a clear structure to the page
  • Every page is the same or similar
  • Easy to organise each spread 
  • Can quickly place things in the same place
Cons - 
  • Can look to rigid if overused
  • Can sometimes be restrictive 
  • Limits creativity
I think for my booklet, I need to create a simple grid that allows some flexibility, though I am unsure of what I want my layout to be at the moment. Once I have experimented with the layout of my publication, I can create a solid grid. 

No comments:

Post a Comment