Friday 2 October 2015

OUGD504 | STUDIO BRIEF 1 | FURTHER DEVELOPMENT

From the feedback I received in the crit, its evident that I need to make some changes. I think the main thing is the yellow, and the header typeface.

I decided to change the yellow to more of a mustard colour, and change the header typeface to Apercu lowercase. Already, this makes the leaflet more friendly and approachable:


I also changed the typeface on the middle bar to lowercase Apercu in light. I think this makes it more consistent and will look better when the leaflet is folded. I also changed the orientation of the writing on the leaflet, so now it faces inwards and "brief" is at the top, rather than it facing outwards. I think this just aligns more with the actual design process, as you start with the brief first. It also works better because it faces inwards towards the 3 stages mentioned on that side of the tab.

I took this version of the design into the final crit and I got some good feedback. The general feeling was that it was a big improvement on before. Some people said I should experiment further with colour. I looked at adding a gradient fading out of the yellow bar in the middle:


I don't think this is as effective as a solid block of colour. As stated before, I don't want the design of the leaflet to interfere with the information, as it's quite text heavy already. I decided to remove it and add numbers instead:


I think this looks much more clear and clean. It now has a clear structure and if anyone was confused about the order of the stages, the numbers are there to guide them. I still like the idea of a minimal front cover, which will be lowercase Apercu:


The next stage is to print out my leaflet and consider my stock choices. I think a thick(ish) stock would work well here, because I have quite a simple fold. I want it to be quite sturdy and able to open up easily. Using printer paper for my mockups has shown me that a thinner stock wouldn't be appropriate. It's quite hard to open the first page as it can be quite flimsy. I'd like to use an off white stock, because it will compliment the mustard colour well. 

I also wanted to try experimenting with the back of the leaflet by adding a yellow triangle that would align with the yellow tab in the middle, as people in the crit mentioned that they'd like to see more yellow on the leaflet:


I tested out using black in the negative space rather than the using white, so it matched the text:


I wasn't really sure whether these were relevant to my leaflet in the end. I decided to go back to my original idea, because I felt like this over-complicated things and I couldn't really justify why I'd done it.

No comments:

Post a Comment