Friday 2 October 2015

OUGD504 | STUDIO BRIEF 1 | INTERIM CRIT

Today we had the interim crit for our leaflets. I printed out a mock-up of the design I have so far and asked some questions about my design.

Is the leaflet too text heavy? Should I include images? What would make it better?
- I like the layout of the leaflet but I think the text should be be spread out more.
- I'd say no images but cut down on the text a bit
- Text heavy, simplify the points
- Cut down on the text
- No I think the text is informative and it is needed to describe the steps.
-  Maybe add colour.

The general feedback from this question is that my leaflet is too text heavy. I wanted it to include a lot of text so it's in depth enough for people to understand, and is informative. I want the general tone for my leaflet to be professional, but also friendly to motivate and inspire.

Do the fonts work, if not, why?
- I think the title fonts should be sans serif to reflect modern design.
- Not the serif title
- I think the fonts are a little too bold, something kinder to the eye like a sans I think would work better.
- Not a fan of the title font, but the body font is nice.
- I think it looks a little dated with the yellow strip and and serif fonts, I think there are too many fonts.
- The titles would look better as a sans serif.

Most people didn't like the main typeface, so I should consider changing it and experimenting more. People suggested a sans serif for the display type, so I'll try that in my further development.

Yellow or another colour?
- Colour is subjective. If you want it to look important, yellow suits.
- I think the yellow is too bright - maybe a duller yellow, more mustard?
- Yellow works, just try a different colour for the white.
- A less harsh yellow but I like the yellow bar.
- Keep the yellow, or just use green.

I think I'm going to keep the yellow, but try different shades. I also need to consider how it will print out on my chosen stock compared to what it looks like on screen.

Does the font on the yellow bar work? Lowercase maybe?
-Try lowercase to see if it looks less shouty. I think the typeface works well.
- Maybe use the same font as you have used on the inside of the leaflet - to ensure consistency.
- Yes
- It works well.

I think I'm going to experiment with different typefaces on the edge. I'd like them to be consistent in the leaflet and look professional.

Should it be bigger? If so, why?
- No, just right size since nobody likes carrying too much. Smaller the better.
- No I think the size is right
- Size is fine, could be smaller if you cut the text down.

I'm happy with the size of my leaflet and I'm glad people agree.

Overall I think I need to develop my design more, but I have a solid start and concept.

No comments:

Post a Comment