Tuesday 6 October 2015

OUGD504 | STUDIO BRIEF 2 | STUDY TASK 2

To begin this brief, I need to start looking at different kickstarters and decide on a project. Kickstarter has a lot of different sections for the projects, such as Art, Design, Fashion, Food, Music and Technology.

The section that jumped out at me the most was food. The other sections seemed too focused on design already, and I wanted to apply my design to something not related. The first project that caught my interest was a donut delivery service:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/956282287/ogalo-delivery-donuts?ref=category

This project seemed promising because they didn't have a logo, but they also didn't have anything else either. They had no backers with a goal of $75,000 dollars and 9 days left. I liked the concept of this idea, and thought I could create something effective for them but their entire project didn't seem promising, so I moved on.

The next project I looked at was a cheese club that plan to meet every month. They work on a month by month basis, and the members get to know what cheese they are discussing/tasting before they commit to paying any money. Again, this project doesn't have a logo as they're still at the beginning stages. I was thinking that it could be used on newsletters or emails, and I could produce a simple vector logo for them and have a range of cheeses that change every month depending on what cheese is being discussed.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1287277253/community-supported-cheese-october-2015/description

Since this is only a 3 day - 1 week brief, I feel like the idea I have in mind for this project is too vast for me to complete to a nice standard. I continued my search

After some more searching on the food section, I found a company called The Bagelry, based in Liverpool. The company started out with two friends wanting to fill a gap in the market for bagels in Liverpool. They started by selling at farmers markets and the company expanded from there! Their project is to fund an industrial oven, and to help with the move to their new cafe. They've already met their goal, and have regular updates on their facebook page about their progress.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thebagelryliverpool/the-bagelry-hand-crafted-malt-boiled-and-baked/description

They already have a logo:

I like how it looks hand made and rustic, but I feel their design could be improved along with the growth of their company. I contacted them through their facebook page saying:

Hi there! I'm a graphic design student at Leeds College of Art and we've been set a brief to chose a kickstarter project and create a logo for them. I'm really interested in your project (because I love bagels) and I think I could create something suitable and effective. You don't have to use the logo I create, but if you could give me some pointers about what you'd look for in a logo please let me know!

I'm still waiting on a reply, but hopefully they'll get back to me with some requirements!

The Bagelry's kickstarter page says: "As two 'old' friends, passionate about food and all things organic we set out on an adventure to produce additive & preservative free, hand rolled, boiled and baked bagels for people to enjoy." I think this quote is very important, as it shows their core brand values. I'd like to create a logo for them that reflects their hard work and commitment to making hand made bagels that have no additives. 

I would like to try a hand rendered approach to this logo, as I feel it would reflect the brands values, but I also think a minimal vector design would suit them too. It would be clean and there would be no unnecessary parts to the design - much like their bagels. If I were to produce a vector design, it would be very easy to replicate onto many different deliverables, such as menus, take-away bags and even t-shirts, as the vector won't lose quality. This is definitely something I need to consider when sketching my initial ideas. Although a logo that looks hand made would be appropriate to their brand values in one respect, I feel that a vector approach is something I could do well and feel confident in producing. I will experiment with both as I develop my ideas, and see which works best. 

No comments:

Post a Comment