Saturday 10 October 2015

OUGD504 | STUDIO BRIEF 1 | EVALUATION

I felt this brief was a good way to get back into the swing of university projects. Reviewing the design process has helped me consider my own process, and remember exactly how to go about starting a design project. I had quite a few changes of mind throughout this project, but I feel I've created something that fits the brief and is successful in context.

I started off with researching into existing leaflets, which was helpful with deciding on a fold and a layout style. I wanted to create quite a minimal leaflet, and make something that was simple to understand. I originally wanted to aim my content at the designer, so with this in mind, I started to experiment with leaflet folding. Trying out new leaflet folds really helped me with choosing a fold and design. I narrowed it down to 3 choices but I had a clear favourite. I went with this fold, and started to look into existing leaflet styles to help inspire my design. I feel like this really helped narrow down the style I wanted to go into and allowed me to begin creating my first initial ideas.

With the fold that I chose, I had a clear idea of what I wanted the design to be like. As the middle edge extruded out beyond the other folds, I wanted to make use of this space in an effective and informative way. I decided to go with adding the words of what would be included on this side of the leaflet, e.g. brief, research and initial ideas. I was told in a crit that this could look quite confusing, but if you open up the leaflet in a specific way (one half at a time), the design becomes clear.

After being ready to print my leaflet and having a finished design, I decided to change my content completely. I thought that since the designer already (should) know the design process, I could aim the leaflet at the client, so to eliminate any problems the designer may have when dealing with the client. I feel like this was a better idea, since my leaflet actually has a use and a target audience. I went ahead with this idea and printed my design.

I had some slight issues with printing (the P from production wasn't saved onto the document so I had to print it again), but other than that, I'm happy with how my leaflet turned out. I think my stock choice was apt for a leaflet and is quick and cheap to produce. Since it is a single sheet of A4, there will be no waste either, so it is environmentally friendly.

I enjoyed this brief, and I feel like it was a good way to start off the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment