Monday 26 October 2015

OUGD504 | STUDIO BRIEF 3 | COVER EXPERIMENTS

After doing further research and finding that most of the images picked out were red, white and blue, I decided to start experimenting with my cover. The font I've chosen is GT Haptik Trial, and it's quite unique as all of the letters have been tilted.


I started off using black and making the point size really big in the text box (by accident), and ended up with this. I feel like it was quite a happy accident, but it looks contemporary and I think I'll keep this text layout! I experimented with red and blue, the colour of The Netherlands flag and out of the 2 variations I prefer the overlaid version, as it looks similar to an anaglyph.


After choosing the type, I experimented with some background patterns. To match the contemporary typeface, I created an on trend pattern. I tried this in red and blue first, but I feel it was a little too busy. I lightened the blue to more of a pastel, and changed the red to a pale duck egg blue, which I think works more. 


Experimenting further with the pattern, I decided to just use it as a background rather than overlapping it over the letter. The pale blue lines represent the large amount of canals in Amsterdam. I used the darker blue in a really small circle in the top corner as I wanted to include it for my colourscheme but didn't want to make the cover look too busy.

I could possibly use foiling for the title or a spot varnish to make the title stand out.

No comments:

Post a Comment