Thursday 8 October 2015

OUGD504 | STUDIO BRIEF 2 | CLIENT RESPONSE

After sending an email to The Bagelry on Tuesday, they replied with some good information that I can use for my logo.

My original email said:

Hi there!

I contacted you yesterday via facebook about my university project but I wasn't sure whether that was the best way to reach you. I'm a graphic design student at Leeds College of art and we've been given a brief to choose a kickstarter project and design a logo for them. I'm aware you already have a logo so you don't need to use what I create or anything, I was just wondering if you could give me some pointers for what you'd like in a logo, or if you have any core brand values that would benefit my project. 

Thanks a lot!
Charlotte

They replied with:

Hello Charlotte

Thanks for choosing our business I am glad you thought it interesting enough to build a project around.

I am Natalie's friend and business partner, and I designed the original logo. However I didn't really give it so much thought I have to confess as back when I originally began as a trial with two coffee shops I simply made a hand drawn label to serve a purpose. As time went on it kind of stuck as Natalie and the shops we delivered too liked it.

I did have in mind the nature of the product when I drew the letters, as you start making the dough into bagels by rolling them from ropes of dough, if that makes sense. So the letters are joined like a continuous rope.

Later Natalie's friend a graphic designer tidied it up, made it into a vector and also made a version that looks more like dough.

If I was looking for things now to include in the style and design of our logo I might even go about it another way, I would be interested to see somebody else's take on our bakery logo. I would definitely say I am a fan of early graphics such as Milton Glaser and those Modern Publicity annuals that showcased a selection of each years graphic trends, I have some from 60s,70s and 80s. I like the simplicity, I like strength of shape or line in a logo back then, nothing too fussy or pictorial.

Other than all that, that's just me I would genuinely love to see another's fresh ideas on it all, I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Keep in touch with your progress
Best wishes
Rhonda

From this, I feel that the best approach would be a minimal design. I'm going to look into the designers she's mentioned and hopefully create a new take on the logo that they haven't thought of before! I'm excited about this project and I'm really happy to have made contact with the owners of the business. It's also a quite unique position to be in since Rhonda is qualified in graphic design and designed the logo herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment