Wednesday 14 January 2015

OUGD405 - Studio Brief 4 Logo creation

Once I had a business and name in mind, I started to get to work on the logo. I wanted something that would be bold, easily recognisable and that can be easily placed anywhere. I started by drawing out some rough ideas, looking at the negative space between G and S, and adding antlers to the letters - which is what most companies do. 


I decided that the most effective way to create this logo was to use the two letters together in a bold, sans serif typeface. I started creating my ideas in illustrator, and started looking for a typeface. Looking through, the only one I really liked was Ostrich Sans Black. Its a bold, condensed typeface. I started messing around with the kerning and came up with this:


This was a good starting point. The letters worked well together and I feel like they could work in any colour. I wasn't sure about adding "Get Stuffed!" to the bottom, so I messed around with the colours and composition more: 



 I added an exclamation mark which I thought worked well and adjusted the kerning to fit with the rest of the letters. I changed the colours to blue, added a stripey texture to the background and moved the logo to the bottom left. This wasn't really working. The stripes were too much and the logo didn't look right there. I removed the stripes and centered the logo again.


This time I experimented with finding a gold colour and adding a drop shadow. Realistically I would like to use foil printing for this project if I were to use gold, but with the time restrictions and printing resources in college I'm not sure if that would be possible. I played around with colours again until I found one that I thought worked:




I really like the white GS!, it stands out from the shadow and the background and you can clearly see what it says. I looked on a website to find complimentary colours for the gold, and got back blues, purples and creams. I think these colours would work really well together and make the brand look of a good quality. I want to create 3 different coloured business cards for the brand in the colour scheme I have chosen. Here are my final colour choices:




I'm happy with these colours and the design, I think they work well together. I'm going to produce all 3 of these business cards for the company in the different colour schemes.

BACK OF BUSINESS CARD:

For the back I was thinking of including their contact details and possibly a tagline produced from the information from their website. I began the layout by gathering the information that I need and placing it in illustrator -

  • T: +44 (0) 20 7226 1364
    M: 07831 260062
    F: +44 (0) 20 7359 8253
  • A: 105 Essex Road
    Islington
    London
    N1 2SL











I started by adding the text in the same typeface as the logo and aligning it to the left. I also added the logo again in the bottom right and the company name so people know what it's actually called. 
I messed around with typefaces and background colour to see which works best:



I changed the typeface to Roboto Light Italic, as it isn't as condensed and easier to read. It also gives a bit of a break from the logo typeface. I didn't really think the dark grey worked as a background colour, as it hasn't really been used anywhere else. I tried a few lighter shades:



I think these look better, but they are still quite dark. I changed the typeface from italic too, as I think it looks more uniform and professional:



Finally, I changed the background to a more off-white colour, and finished my first business card: 



I continued this theme onto the other two: 






No comments:

Post a Comment