Tuesday 13 January 2015

OUGD404 - What is a book? Studio Brief 2 Study task 1

Today in Design Principals we had to bring in 3 different types of book and discuss them around our table. I brought in a magazine, my sketch book and my kindle. I thought that these were all very different examples and each had different purposes. 



The magazine that I brought in was Computer Arts November 2014 edition. It was printed on quite thick stock and had a thicker cover. The paper was glossy and had a desirable finish. I think the binding of it was done by glue, though I'm not certain. Its purpose is to inform and entertain creatives, which I think it's done very well with an interesting cover that grabs your attention. 



The next book was my sketchbook. It's purpose is to be a record of drawings, which I think it achieves quite well as the stock is very thick which ensures ink won't run through to the other side. It is spiral bound so the pages can open up and you can see the entire spread, and it's also easy to rip out pages that you don't want.



The final example of a book I brought in was my kindle. I think this is an example of a book as it has digital books stored on it and it shares information and stories. It has no binds or physical pages, and its purpose is to inform and entertain. 

Here are a few examples of what other people brought into the session:


This is a publication in the style of a newspaper that is all about music and current trends. I find it interesting because although it looks like a newspaper, it doesn't look cheap. The aesthetic of the design makes it more desirable, even though it is printed on really thin, cheap stock.


Here is a scratch map, where you can scratch off the places you've been on the map and connect it together with pins and string. I found this interesting as its as  though you make your own story through the map, and maps were once made in the form of a book too.


This is a fiction book that is very thick. It has quite thin paper stock inside so it will be quite cheap to produce. The binding is done by glue. It's purpose is to tell the story and make sense chronologically.



This was a book made from a single sheet of A4 paper using the accordion fold technique. It is a short story about how to use mayonnaise. I think this book is very effective in what it does, and it is very cheap to produce - 1 A4 page. 


This book was made by a series of folds and opens up to be a star. It was made by one of my classmates grandma's, and the purpose was to be sentimental to her. I think its very effective as it opens out and has lots of pictures of her. The stock was quite thick so that it all held together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment