Thursday 8 January 2015

OUGD405 - Studio Brief 3 Ideas and Research

For studio brief 3, we have been asked to create a booklet based on all of our information about what we gathered in brief 2 using Adobe InDesign. We need to have at least 5 double spreads experimenting with different layouts. 
The brief states that the information that is put into our booklet should be specific to our own interests of the areas that we have researched. I'm not sure if I would like to adapt my research that I already have, or just use the same research and present it in a different way. I like the idea of having 20 words, stats, images, opinions and facts in one booklet, but at the same time the layouts will all look very similar, and 20 images would be hard to lay out effectively.
I think an A5 booklet would be the most effective choice, as an A4 would look too much like a magazine, which is not what I'm looking to make. I want to make a small, concise booklet that informs people on the process of taxidermy.

Since I have already made a physical product for my research in brief 2, I would like to make this booklet in a different style. The cards I made looked very traditional and old fashioned, much like peoples view on taxidermy today. I think I would like to create something that looks more modern, so that people could change their opinions, and bring taxidermy into the modern day. 
I have looked at a few typefaces that I could use for my booklet. I would like to keep a consistent theme running throughout it, so that it looks professional and neat. Here are some fonts that I have looked at:

Azedo:


Vincent:


Muchacho:



Komoda:



All of these typefaces are simple but different from each other. They will get a message across easily without any unnecessary information or decoration. I think they would work well together if I decided to use all of them, as the majority are sans serif and look very effective in their own way. 

I have also looked at different styles of booklet layout:


I think that this is really effective because of the simplicity. The colours on the page jump out and it looks very elegant and delicate. There is a clear message on the page and it's not too overpowering. 



I really like these layouts too, they are very simplistic again. With minimal use of colour the information really stands out and theres a contrast between each page which I like. I also like how the Aa and Dd are cut off at the top and bottom of the page, I would like to do something like that with my work too. 

 I find this layout also successful with the minimal writing on the first page, giving clear concise information and also looking stylish and modern.

These layouts and designs have given me some inspiration towards making my own booklet. I think that going with a monotone theme will help get my message across better and keep the focus on the information.


No comments:

Post a Comment