Friday 9 January 2015

OUGD405 - Studio Brief 3 Interim Crit

Today we had our interim crit for studio brief 3. This crit we discussed our ideas about layout, colour schemes and stock choices. I found this crit really useful as it was really informal and people bounced ideas off each other. I presented 4 sheets that showed a rough layout style that I want to go for, which will be quite minimal to keep the focus on the taxidermy.
I would like to keep my layout style and typefaces quite modern and contemporary as many people think taxidermy is quite old fashioned, so I would like to bring taxidermy into the modern day with this booklet, and appeal to people that it wouldn't normally. My target audience for this young adults of both genders, as I think this age range would be most interested and open minded towards taxidermy. 

Here are my rough layout designs:








As you can see I have left a lot of negative here, so that the information is the most important and the page isn't cluttered. People in the crit liked my ideas, and I got feedback that was very positive towards my ideas: 

- "I think the idea to modernise the idea of taxidermy to  appeal to a different audience is a great idea" 
- "Make it look contemporary rather than design for what it is"
- "I like the break away from the current. Love the imagery, test different stocks"
- "Making it look contemporary is a good idea as it makes it current - taxidermy is quite old fashioned so it needs to be made relevant" 
- "Try not to make the colours too bright because it will stray away from the animals"
- "Really good idea. Will be a nice contrast between the general old fashioned appearance of the taxidermy images and a more simplistic layout"

We also discussed bad design, and when bad design actually becomes good. I think this is relevant to my project because a lot of taxidermy branding isn't good in terms of design, it looks cheap and not very professional. Different paper stock was also mentioned and that should be a consideration when printing our booklets. 

Overall I'm pleased with this crit and I think I've gained some useful insights, and know what direction to take it in. I want to create a simple minimalist layout that focuses on the taxidermy, but also keeping it modern and sleek. 

No comments:

Post a Comment