Saturday 14 May 2016

OUGD505 | STUDIO BRIEF 1 | EVALUATION

I started this brief with optimism and an idea I felt I could do well - as I'm extremely interested in the effects of climate change and sustainability. I wanted to push myself conceptually and create an interesting resolution that people could interact with.

As the designs developed, I felt that I was quite out of my depth with time management and the scale of the project. The aesthetic of the bank notes is also not what I had imagined. Reflecting upon my design decisions I feel that using real images would have been more effective, using a halftone effect for it to screen print.

Reflecting on my concept, it was appropriate to only design 1 bank note as the deliverables were being exhibited. My concept required designs for 7 bank notes as they worked as a set, and I decided to screen print 3 of my designs. This also pushed me back in terms of time as I could have spent more time developing and improving the designs rather than a lot of time printing them.

Having to make essentially 2 designs for each bank note (screen print and UV) pushed me further on the time aspect, and I felt that I could have improved on the finishes and quality of he designs if I gave myself more time. As I wasn't familiar or experienced with screen printing, I felt that this also hindered my design process. The lack of colours/details allowed on each scene had a great impact on the overall design. Not having access to UV ink in university also had an impact on my design, as I had to find my own source. As the paint failed, using a UV felt-tip was the only option for my design and it didn't show up as strongly as I had hoped.

I feel like I may have tried to push myself too hard for this brief. The final resolutions are satisfactory for the requirements of the brief, but I personally feel that it's not up to standard. A number of factors played into this, but mainly it's due to inexperience with the processes and trying to push the brief when I could have created something of higher standard that was conceptually simpler.

No comments:

Post a Comment