Tuesday 3 May 2016

OUGD505 | STUDIO BREF 1 | SCREEN PRINTING

My 3 chosen designs to take to screen print were Antarctica, Asia and South America as these had the most potential with the UV aspect. As a maximum of two designs will be able to fit on the sheet for the exhibition, its important that I have some lee-way and reduce the risk when printing. Having 3 designs to choose from will help with this, as some may be more successful than others.

Getting the colours right for the screen print was quite difficult, as they had to be mixed by hand. The amount of separations prolonged the process even more, and aligning the print each time was hard to start with:



The colours were also brighter than what I had anticipated, though this wasn't a huge issue. The screen I had was quite patchy, resulting in my prints having quite a textured look. I imagined them to be solid colour, so this was quite disappointing. Below you can see the screen printed version (top) and inkjet printed version (bottom) for comparison.



I decided to try the Antarctica print again, this time paying more attention to the colours. The result here is a more grey, pale looking print though it's the preferable of the two designs. Asia's design came out very patchy due to the dark colours that were used. The mountain was more purple than I had anticipated also. South America was probably the most successful print, though a mistake in the final colour (the sun) led to it's positioning being slightly off. 


Overall, the prints came out quite successful, though I am quite disappointed by the colours and textures. This is most likely due to me being inexperienced at screen printing and not knowing the techniques to get this right. The next stage is to add the UV designs and decide which prints will feature in the exhibition.

No comments:

Post a Comment