Thursday 19 May 2016

OUGD505 | MODULE EVALUATION

Design practice has produced some varied results. I wasn't extremely happy with my outcome for Licence To Print Money, but Product, Range, Distribution was one of my favourite outcomes for Level 5. A lot of this has to do with time management and realistic goals. 

Licence To Print Money already started off as a challenging brief, giving a lot of restrictions with size, colour and printing method. I was already working in a way I was unfamiliar and uncomfortable with, and trying to push that even further was evidently too much. The work I produced was not what I imagined it to look like, and also not very well produced. The idea worked conceptually but as I am inexperienced with the processes, it didn't work as well as it could have in practice. 

Product, Range, Distribution was a welcome change to processes that I wouldn't particularly choose myself. Firstly, the research stage helped me create all of the content I needed for the brief. Having a "blurred" focus before settling on a concept was very useful, as I researched into a lot of different areas and gained a lot of knowledge. I was able to work comfortably within photoshop and illustrator and freely create for an idea that I was passionate about. Working with illustrators who were also interested in the subject was motivating and ensured that I stayed on track with time management. They needed to be briefed on the subject and it was up to me to have everything ready to give them the information they needed. I found this really stimulating and had a drive to create the work and flesh out the concept. As this brief was the final brief of the year, I was able to give it my full attention and wasn’t distracted by any other modules or projects. 


Overall I feel that Design Practice has been a mixed module for me. The contrasting results come from being enthusiastic about the brief and being comfortable with the processes used. Pushing the brief too far when there are already restrictions in place is something I have learned to be cautious about, and that its fine to stay within your comfort zone sometimes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment