Friday 20 November 2015

OUGD504 | STUDIO BRIEF 4 | RESEARCH

After much consideration, I've decided to choose The Smashing Pumpkins as my artist for this project. I came to this conclusion by researching other artists in the previous post and I feel that they have the strongest concept. Their latest album is part of a trilogy named Teargarden by Kalideyscope, and I could play on the fact that this album is the 2nd in the trilogy, and that it's part of a set. The first album is named Oceania and the second is named Monuments to an Elegy, and their album artwork and inside covers are quite decorative and especially striking with the colours they use:



A lot of the promo they produce is very illustrative and complex. Here are examples of recent tour posters:



Although their most recent world tour provided a very rare lithograph that has been signed by the band members, and has more of a vector based approach: 


I'd like to create something more toward this approach in my promotion for the album and in the website. Obviously there are some constrictions with this as the album artwork already exists and it should link to that somehow, but this poster shows that things don't always have to be totally coherent for it to work. 

The Smashing Pumpkins have a very large, loyal fan base as their first album came out in 1991. I'd like to include and reward the dedicated fans within my website leading up to the launch of the album somehow, as I feel the fans are an integral part of the band.  


No comments:

Post a Comment