Friday 20 November 2015

OUGD503 | PENGUIN | FURTHER DEVELOPMENT

Once I had created all of the new houses in the more "hand-drawn" art style, I moved onto creating and laying out the actual cover.


This looks a lot more attractive already, the buildings are charming and the colour pallet is very soft and child-like. I moved onto creating the spine and back, using different variations of the buildings following the same layout:


I left enough space to add in the blurb and extra copy on the back. The copy we have to include is: 

"Emil is excited to be going on a train all by himself, with money for his grandmother safely tucked into his pocket. But a strange man wearing a bowler hat is acting mysteriously, and soon Emil starts to feel sleepy . . .

The next thing he knows the man – and the money – have gone! Emil is determined to get it back and teams up with a gang of young detectives in a hair-raising chase across the city to catch the thief."

"After him! After him!"

"Fun Facts, Quizzes and much more inside!"

"Stories that last a lifetime"

Obviously that's quite a lot to fit in the small space I have. I started off from the top of the page, adding a large cloud to give a clean background for the text:


I experimented a lot of this layout, as I also need to place the Puffin Logo and barcode on the back. I added in the extra supplementary copy and also added some hand drawn money, floating through the sky. Emil is walking below, looking quite sad as he doesn't know it's right above him. The audience can see that it's right there, which causes a sense of dramatic irony for the viewer. 

This is my final variation on the book cover. It answers the brief and has a strong theme of dramatic irony, and the colours contrast with the tone of the message portrayed. I feel this design will be eye catching to children, as its busy but has a clear narrative. The colours are quite unusual for a childrens book (from the primary research I gathered), and I feel this is a positive as it will stand out on a shelf easily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment