Wednesday 4 November 2015

OUGD504 | STUDIO BRIEF 3 | MOCK UPS

To get a feel for my final design, I printed out some mockups. I ended up having to print out 3 versions, as I found it difficult to get the pagination right on the settings, but this gave me a few extra versions to experiment with binding the book with my final design on. The first book that  I printed had the right pagination, but wasn't double sided, so it ended up having blank pages inbetween the spreads:




The second book was double sided, but had the binding set to the long edge instead of the short, so images were upside down:



Finally, I managed to figure out the settings and print out a proper version:


The 3 binding methods I wanted to try out were saddle stitch, perfect bind and coptic bind, as I feel they're all really different and would give me an idea of which way to go. The saddle stitch was the easiest, but because of the stock I want to use, the thick paper may not work well with this kind of bind:


Next, I moved onto the perfect bind. The end result is quite messy on the spine, and I'd have to take extra care with this if I chose this bind, but overall the result is successful. The book is easy to turn and would look professional if it was neater:

 


Finally, I tried the coptic bind. I've already had experience with this bind as I've used it for a previous project. The time taken to do this bind is lengthy as its complex and you have to sew each page a multiple of times:


I was pleased with the end result. It looks a lot more interesting than the other binds, and contrasts nicely with the minimal layout in the book. The black and white thread would be replaced with blue and red, if I were to use this bind, to tie in with my content. 



No comments:

Post a Comment