Thursday 12 November 2015

OUGD503 | PENGUIN | PRIMARY RESEARCH

I thought it would be beneficial for me to look at existing bookshelves and see what childrens books were the most popular. I visited Waterstones and took pictures of the childrens bookshelves. The layout is interesting, as it has certain books facing outwards - which I presume are the most popular or eye-catching covers. I noticed that a lot of the more serious books had covers that mimicked generic adult book covers, e.g. the book facing forwards on the 2nd row down of the first image.


I also took some pictures of the book covers that stood out to me the most:





All of these books have illustrative elements to them, and are quite simplistic in their overall design. I think this is a style that I would like to emulate in my design, with bright eye-catching colours and a minimal yet quirky style. 


Many of the books use bright colours, usually red and blue, so it looks like it would be quite difficult to create something that will stand out dramatically against the rest of the selection. 

Overall, I found it very useful to look at existing book covers, and now I need to focus on initial ideas and getting a style together.

No comments:

Post a Comment