Thursday 5 March 2015

OUGD404 - Studio Brief 2 Creating the book

To make the book I first had to gather my content together. I started looking online for recipes and inspiration. I wanted to have a section in my book for sweet and savoury recipes separately. Since we have to create 10 double page spreads at a minimum, I've decided to have 5 savoury recipes and 5 sweet ones. I want to have a double page introducing them, and a strong theme of black and white throughout the book. I also would like the images to be a large influence on the book, and I'd like to give a full page to all or most images. 

I did some research on recipes and decided on my final 10 recipes:

- Port sliders with goats cheese and caramelized onions
- Mashed potato casserole with gouda and bacon
- Rib eye steaks with gorgonzola butter and crispy sweet onion rings
- Pulled pork stuffed sweet potatoes
- Chicken chow mein
- Pumpkin praline trifle
- Apple frangipan tart
- Peanut  butter fudge brownies with honey roasted peanuts
- Black Forest Gateau
- Red velvet cake

I also created some mock up drawings of how I want the final book to be. I want to bind the book with a Coptic bind so it has an exposed spine. I think this would make the book look desirable and expensive. I also want the book to have a white cover with a black cardboard sleeve, and gold screen print design on the front of both covers. 




Once I had my content and a style that I wanted to go for, I started to create my book. I included the cover (although this will be screen printed in the final outcome), and started to make my layouts for the recipes. 



This is the cover of the that I created using a combination of Illustrator and InDesign. I want the final cover to be screen printed using Gold ink to make it look more luxurious and expensive. It took me a while to decide on a typeface, but I decided on Questa, as it is a serif typeface without highly contrasting weights throughout it. I thought it fit nicely and wasn't too overpowering.

Once I had the cover sorted, I had a feel for what I wanted to create inside. I felt like a minimal design with serif typefaces that stand out would suit this idea the best. I created a double page introducing the savoury recipes:


This layout was actually an accident as the type was too large to fit on the full page and the Y just sat at the bottom, but I really like this layout and I think it fits well with the theme of the book, it looks different and appealing, making you want to turn the page.

The first recipe is the Port sliders with goats cheese and caramelized onions. I gathered the recipe and set it out in columns. I also played around with the title. Here are my developments of the page:




I tried it with a brown background, to match with the savoury page, which resulted in this:


I didn't really like it, the white looked clean and pristine, so I reverted  back to white and had a play around with the layout:




This is the final layout for this page. I'm happy with it as it looks bold and minimalist. It fits with the cover of the book and the aesthetic that I'm going for.

No comments:

Post a Comment