Friday 20 March 2015

OUGD404 - Studio Brief 2 Binding

The binding method that I chose for my book was a Coptic bind, but as my pages weren't printed into signatures I had to do a single sheet bind. I found a tutorial online and followed this to bind my book: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04vt8YfT7XM


To create the front cover I used the book binding workshop at the Vernon Street building. I used grey-board and buckram to create the cover. A spontaneous decision led me to have a black cover instead of my planned white. I was convinced that the black would look better against the gold screen print of the cover design, so I went with that.

Once the front and back covers were created, I drilled holes into the book where I wanted it to be bound. I created 6 holes all together, as stated by the tutorial.

Binding the book was a long process, but once it was done I was fairly happy with it. As it was my first time binding, I thought I'd done a good job, but my only issue with it is that it's quite loose and looks slightly untidy in parts:





No comments:

Post a Comment