Monday 16 February 2015

OUGD406 - Studio Brief 2 Study Task 3

For this study task we were asked to consider the feedback we received about or book covers in study task 2, and start to think about our own covers. I wanted to communicate an unclear message in which you had to look closer to understand. I wanted it to be eye catching, confusing, but also fun. 

Taking these words, I decided that Dingbats was a suitable typeface to try over a normal sans serif typeface, such as Helvetica or gill sans. I wanted the structure of the cover to be title, subtitle then the author.
Within a few minutes, I created this and printed it off: 

I feel like the idea I had in mind was better than the actual outcome. I think if I had more time on this idea it could look better. The idea was to play off the illegibility, so that you have to look closer to be able to see what it's saying. The words and comments I received for this design were:

Busy, illegible, decorative, postmodern, unreadable, busy, chaotic, challenging, difficult, too much imagery and unfriendly.

This was not what I was going for, but I do agree with those words as I was rushed to produce this and it's not something I'm very happy with. I think I'll try and develop this idea further and consider it for my interim crit, but I think the idea was better than the final execution. 

No comments:

Post a Comment