Monday 9 February 2015

OUGD406 - Studio Brief 1 - Final Design and crit

After considering the feedback I was given, I decided to go with design 3, it was the design I was most confident with, due to the simplicity and the use of vectors:



I wanted to tweak it slightly so it looked more hypnotising and linked more to technology, so I decided to give it an anaglyph pattern, and have a pale pink background to make the colours stand out more:



Overall I am happy with my design, I think it gives a clear message and links to the song without being too obvious. The final crit was very similar to the interim, but we were given sheets of questions to analyse the work using the acronym DIET - Describe, Interpret, Evaluate, Theorise. The feedback that I received was very positive:

Describe:

An illustrated face with spiral eyes. Just features of face - eyes, nose, mouth. Swirly/spiral eyes. Blue and red used gives a 3D effect with a pinkish/off white background. 

Interpret:

Eyes look hypnotising. Blue and red reminds us of 3D glasses, which is suitable to the nature of the song. The mouth is slightly parted which emphasises the shock of hypnotism. Creates a sense of illusion and dizziness even though it is simplistic. 

Evaluate:

It's successful because it makes your eyes go fuzzy and you feel disorientated, almost like it's hypnotising you. Reflects the song well. The colours communicate a 3D effect which also adds colour the the illusion its self. They contrast well. 

Theorise:

Yes, it reflects the nature of the song, due to a sense of hypnotising the viewer, which is similar to what the song portrays. The idea of technology taking over. Expression looks consumed in technology. Looks best digitally. White space works well allowing features to breathe. Clear message, can't think of many improvements.


I feel happy with the feedback I received, they understood my message and I think thats important, because at first the design can look quite ambiguous, especially when you don't know what song it is.


No comments:

Post a Comment