Friday 6 February 2015

OUGD406 - Studio Brief 1 - Interim Crit

This crit was different to all of the crits we have done before. It was a blind crit, so we had to leave our work on the table and ask questions for people to leave comments. While people were writing comments on ours, we critted other peoples work. I found this crit useful as people were more honest with their feedback, and gave me some good ideas, where as in normal crits, not everyone gives their true opinion yet.







This was all of the feedback I received about my designs. There was a lot to go through but it was very helpful as I don't usually get feedback in this volume. The numbers on my feedback are referring to my designs, which I will display here with their number:

Design 1 - 


Design 2 - 


Design 3 -


Design 4 - 



Design 5 -




Here is the feedback I received in more detail:

What song do you think it is?

  • St. Vincent, because of the number 4 showing the negative side of using too much technology/social media.
  • Digital Witness definitely, because of image 4. 
  • St. Vincent, very obvious = computer,  eyes, etc.
  • St. Vincent recognisable from design 1, having listened to the song. All the others are slightly harder to guess but I like the enigma.
  • St. Vincent because of design 4 and the use of the word "computer" - link to the name of the song. Also the blind design from the video 
  • St. Vincent because of the word computer
  • St. Vincent - number 3 is what gives it away - think its the most obvious
  • St. Vincent - colours on no. 1 are bright and representative.
  • Definitely Digital Witness because the overall theme is like hypnotism and downfall which is successful.
  • I think it is St. Vincent because of the use of the window on 5, and the hands illustation (4) as her main message is that digital media is a waste of time and you may as well be looking out of the window. 
  • Digital witness - Reference to hypnotism and "too much computer".

Which design is your favourite? Why?

  • Number 2 because of the colours and the cloud like effect, although I wouldn't be able to tell that it was for the St. Vincent song. 
  • Definitely number 3, I think it is a strong image as it is black and white and I could see it being in a shop.
  • Number 1 - love the angled text, overlapping colours, would stand out from a distance.
  • I like design 2 as it is unclear what song it is for and looks like peter pan. It looks magical and unique.
  • Number 2 because it's not clear what song the design is for. It seems like a disney movie poster. 
  • 2 is probably my favourite as it is subtle and fairytale like. 
  • 1 - The use of text is individual despite it only being 1 word.
  • 4 is also really nice
  • 3, I like how simple it is, the spirals are actually hard to look at. 
  • I really like design 5, I think this is an element that no one in the class has used. I recognise the blinds from the video and it links in well to the video without being too obvious or cliché
  • My favourite is number 5 because it is quite a subtle message from the lyrics that only fans will understand. The drama of black and white makes it stand out from the rest of the images. However, I really like the visual look of number 2, I am just unsure of the message you are portraying.
  • I really like number 3 visually, I think it works really well and is a simplistic design. The hypnotised eyes pull you in and almost create an optical illusion.

How could any be improved? Give details:

  • Number 5 could be improved by having some type maybe?
  • 3 - try different colours but I think white works, 4 - no type, 2 & 3 - not really sure of the concept behind these
  • 3 - try a colour on the background with white imagery, 4 - try black/dark grey background
  • design 3 is a little too simple, feel it needs something extra - maybe changing weight of strokes to show curves. I also think the type choice for 4 is ill fitting with the song or the theme of computers - too artistic, needs to be more simple
  • Design 3 could be better if some colours would be added because at the moment it looks too simple.
  • Design 5 - not 100% sure on what this relates - not clear on the shape or why the colours are used and this could be made a little more obvious. 
  • Maybe add more depth and texture to number 1, I like how the bright colours and "yeah" suggest our submission to digital things.
  • You could try number 3 against a brighter coloured backgrounds/maybe give it an anaglyph effect to make it a bit trippy. 
  • Could experiment with the eyes in number 3, maybe different uses of colour

Are there any colour changes you would make? Why?

  • Number one because there is too much colour because of the overlaying of words. Try using a limited palette.
  • 3 - coloured background and white illustrations 
  • Perhaos a different coloured background for number 5, something less dark as the video is very colourful. Maybe yellow to show light coming in. Number 1 colours are too bright possibly? something less fierce, not necessarily pastels but not neons either.
  • Maybe have a lighter coloured background for number 5 which would make it stand for.
  • The colours/white backgrounds are very subtle compared to design 1 which is eye catching and exciting
  • 4 could have a little stronger as I feel they're too pale and dont stand out well on white stock.
  • 5 - the song and video is very lively and jolly so i don't think black and white works at all with this as it gives off connotations of depression, doesn't fit or link.
  • maybe optical eyes in number 3 should  be in the bright colours of number 1, enforce the illusion image - or use the lilac/green theme from her video on number 5, this would make the image look less harsh perhaps?
  • keep it simple - i like the colours used in 1, really effective and simple.

How do you think these should be produced?

  • Screen print/mono print/water colour (2)
  • I would definitely say for the colourful one digitally, and for the less coloured one screen print. 
  • Screen print 1 + 3
  • Screen print or printed on acetate for number 3
  • 1, 3, 5 screen printed, others digitally
  • Design 1 would do well with screen print and design 2 using paint e.g. water paint.
  • For 1, screen print could work well as the inks can be made transparent. 
  • They look really good vectorised!
  • Vector images! or even a screen print I think would be really effective

I found this feedback really useful but quite overwhelming as there was so much of it. I think that it's really valuable to listen to what other people think, and I will definitely take some of this feedback on board.

No comments:

Post a Comment