Wednesday 11 February 2015

OUGD404 - Studio Brief 2 Book Ideas

This week we had a short crit to discuss our ideas about our book. I decided I wanted to create a book on something that I had knowledge about already, and something that I enjoyed. I decided to pick cooking, and wanted to create a recipe book. I liked the idea of having a book with two spines with a front and back, which then had main dishes on one side, and desserts on the other.

After discussing this idea in my crit group, we bounced ideas off each other about what kind of demographic I should aim at. I thought about looking at students, since I am a student. We also looked at meals for one (one is fun). I was initially thinking about designing a cook book filled with cheap, healthy eating recipes for students, but then I looked at the POLPO cook book and fell in love. I want to create something similar to that, with a sense of luxury to it, and this wouldn't really appeal to students at all. 





The white cover and gold foil print make this book look desirable, and the exposed spine works really well. The layout of the book is suitable, and makes the finished product enticing. The image spreads across two pages, but this isn't affected because of the exposed spine. 

After looking at this book, I've decided that I would prefer to bind my book, rather than use a fold technique. I think it will give a better finish and look more professional and luxurious. I am going to conduct more research into other cook books, and experiment with illustrations or photography, as food is quite temperamental with photography and sometimes doesn't look great. 

No comments:

Post a Comment