Tuesday 17 February 2015

OUGD406 - Studio Brief 2 Research

To begin this brief, I decided to conduct some research into existing book covers to gain some inspiration. I looked at the online resources on estudio, and found the penguin drop cap series exceptionally well designed. I had already seen these before, but they're perfect research for this brief.





These covers have been created with between 2-3 colours and stock, which is one of the requirements for this brief. I don't think I'll be creating something illustrative for my cover, as my book is very text heavy and it would be misleading to have an illustration on the front. 

I also found a website called From Cover to Cover, which is described as "An ongoing project to design new covers for books I’ve read." This site was useful as each book was really different and all designed by the same person. Here are some of my favourites:



The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

Freedomland



About a Mountain

electrickoolaid

The Grapes of Wrath

Most of these designs would be hard to achieve with screen-print, but most of them use text only with shapes and textures, which is something I'd like to achieve. I think these book covers are effective as they're simple, and don't necessarily reflect a strong message about the book - or if it does, its not obvious. I think this shows that you don't have to read the book, or relate the cover to the content for it to be successful. 


As my book is part of a set, I decided to look at the other editions of the book to see what their covers are like. 






All over these covers are very different and don't really match in any way. I think the 4th one is the best, as it's simple and clean. Other than that, I don't really like any of the covers. They don't reflect whats inside the book - essays and critical writing. I think they would work better if they had a consistent style so you know that they're part of a set, and looked more like a book about essays. As the target audience is students, graphic designers, or people with an interest in graphic design, I think they need to be more appealing to designers. If I saw any of these books on a shelf I wouldn't pick any of them up. I think they need to be more exciting, but also still reflect the content in a way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment