Wednesday 8 April 2015

OUGD406 - Studio brief 4 Stress

As I now have a definite colour scheme for my book, and a style I can take forward I began on the introduction page. I wanted to introduce my book in a short and sweet paragraph, as to not worry or confuse the new students. I included some humor, and my final introduction reads:

"This short guide will give you some quick tips on how to cope with stress, money, friends and family, all while dealing with moving away from home for the first time. Based on my own experiences, I will be giving advice and hoping to help you out the best I can! First year passes by incredibly quickly, and before you know it you’re sat at home enjoying the Easter holidays with 4 modules to finish at once trying not to tear your hair out. It’s all about time management, which is what you’ll hear your tutors tell you over and over again - believe me, they’re not lying!"

I decided to write in first person because I wanted there to be a personal touch. This is an account of my experiences and advice I think I would have wanted at the start of first year, so I want that to be apparent. As this was the introduction, I used all of the colours from the front page but still kept it minimal:



The first section of this book is about stress. As I feel I have experienced a lot of stress this year, I decided to give some helpful advice to the new students about how to avoid it in the first place, but if they do become stressed, how to deal with it:

"With deadlines looming and 3 or 4 other projects going on at once, there’s a guarantee you’re going to be feeling stressed at some point in the year. My main piece of advice for this is to make sure you keep on top of your work. As soon as you need to blog something make sure its the first thing you do when you get home - it’ll take you no longer than half an hour and then you can relax for the night! If you have too much going on and you don’t know where to start, take a moment to sit down and make a list, trust me it helps! It allows you to see what you need to do, and prioritise in terms of deadlines.
It’s also important to make sure you find time to relax. Set a time in the evening where you stop doing work and snuggle down in bed with netflix and a cup of tea. Forgetting all about work can help with the stress, and also keep your creativity levels up!"

On one side of the page I wanted the word "stress" in big bold writing, as a title to the section. The colours I had to work with were dark purple and blue, so I added that gradient to the background, and used white for the text:



I added some of the vector lines in a paler blue and put those in the background. I kept the page with the text fairly minimal to focus on the information:




The next double page is also focused on stress, but I wanted it to be quick concise tips. I decided to use the same gradient colour and have white text. I experimented with the text on this page slightly, also the colour of the vectors:



Final design:


I decided to use lower case for the tips as this would reflect relaxation and friendliness.

No comments:

Post a Comment