Wednesday 6 January 2016

OUGD504 | MODULE EVALUATION

This module had many different types of brief, ranging from quick 1 week logo designs, to spending 4 weeks developing a promotional website for a music artist of our choice. Having a wide range of briefs helped me get back into university projects after the summer, and the quick 1 week briefs definitely got me back into it. 

The first brief was to create a leaflet that informed the user of the about The Design Process. This was definitely a good brief to have at the beginning of the year, as it acted as a huge refresher for the process in general. I enjoyed having a short brief at the start of the year, as I was eager to discover the future briefs within the module. The brief itself was quite fun, and experimenting with folds and leaflet design was something new to me. 

The second brief was to pick any project from Kickstarter and create a logo for them. I particularly enjoyed this brief, as it had a “live” element to it, as we were encouraged to speak to the owners of the project and get any feedback we could off them. The project that I chose was the Bagelry based in Liverpool. Their Kickstarter was raising funds for their new cafe. I contacted the owners and they really liked my designs, but unfortunately they’d already purchased everything for the cafe with their existing branding on it. Even though my designs weren’t used, it was a really cool brief and being encouraged to speak to clients and get feedback outside of the classroom was really refreshing! 

Our third brief for the module was an extension of the summer brief. We were to create a publication based around a place we had taken pictures of over the summer. As I was going to Amsterdam in the summer break, I decided to base my publication here. I felt a pressure to get really good images in a short amount of time over the summer, but fortunately I had enough good quality images to fill the publication. Laying out many images over a double page spread wasn’t something I had done before, so I decided to do some primary research for this brief. It was useful to see successful designs and how they were laid out. There were many considerations in this brief, and it showed us that we need to be able to balance lots of different ideas. 

The final brief was set by Only Studio. We were given a brief that they received while working in industry recently, and it was really exciting to see what a “real” brief was like. We had to create a campaign website that was immersive for the user, and boosts record sales for the latest album by an artist of our choice. This brief was very different from all of the briefs we’ve done before. I did struggle quite a lot with getting the design right, as I’ve never created a website or had any experience with UX design. Overall, I enjoyed this brief even though I found it quite challenging. Having the crit with Only was really useful as they had such an in-depth knowledge, and gave me some really valuable feedback.


The diversity of this module has been really enjoyable. It’s been challenging and exciting all of the way through. I did enjoy this module, though looking back I feel as though I could improve some of the work I created. Even though it was a 1 week brief, I think my logo could be more refined and friendly looking. I also feel like the finishes on my publication could be to a better standard as I had to bind it again. This brief has been the start of a huge learning curve for level 5, and I have really enjoyed it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment