Tuesday 11 November 2014

OUGD404 - Studio Brief 1 Negative Space Workshop

Today we had a workshop on negative space, I found it really interesting and useful, as this is something that could be considered in a lot of my future design work. We were shown a few examples of negative space work, and were given this brief:


After looking at the examples of ‘negative space’ both in typographic terms and even in photographic terms the
workshop is to choose a word i.e. HALT (Typographic) Upper or lower case and see what element you can add to use
with or replacing the identified space to create an image suggested by the chosen word/element.
Within the time available, you may render this in any way you choose, if you wish to Mac up, and you feel you 
have time, go for it otherwise by hand if it suits you as a creative.

I started experimenting with the word Juice, trying to include a drop of liquid within the U, making it look quite juicy:


I then refined this design and coloured it black so you could see it properly: 


I was quite happy with this, but then I moved onto the word fairy. I experimented with it until I came up with a design that I was happy with:




I took the wing idea further into the word fairy, and incorporated it into the F, removing the crossbar and replacing it with the outline of a wing:


This is my final design, I think I have fit the brief, even though it took me some time to get there:


Here are some examples of negative space that I find interesting and clever:


No comments:

Post a Comment