Friday 14 November 2014

OUGD403 - Studio Brief 04 Final Crit

After the interim crit for this brief, I decided to change my idea for my posters. The message that I want to communicate is that people should donate their organs. I wanted to do it in a way that doesn't make people feel guilty, as a lot of examples that I looked at did. 
I started to make some sketches for my posters:

Type + Image

Type only

Image only

After that, I took my work into Adobe Illustrator and started developing them.
Type and Image:
My first attempt at re-creating this design in vector format went okay. The layout wasn't the best and the words were quite illegible:

I tried it again using a different layout and hand rendering the letter forms:

I think this worked better but the words aren't very readable or put in a logical order. I recreated it again, also making the letters with wavy lines instead of straight:


I think this poster works well as it's straight forward and grabs your attention. It is the most readable of the ones I produced and the words are legible. It communicates a clear message.

Type only:
I started with the phrase "LIVE TWICE", as I wanted to make the donor feel like they are actually accomplishing something by donating. I decided to write this in a bold, condensed font to grab the viewers attention and keep it simple and straightforward:

Embedded image permalink

When I asked for feedback from my friends and peers, I was told that maybe the writing could be thinner and friendlier so it conveys a nicer message, so I tried that:

Embedded image permalink

I don't think it has the same impact as my first poster. I think the message should be loud and clear and not take away from the main point. I decided to go with my first typeface, but change the colour of the reflected words to a pale blue:

Embedded image permalink

I think this poster works well as the colours are quite contrasting and make each other stand out. It gets a clear message across without making you feel guilty.

Image only:
For my image only poster I wanted to make something quite simple, again, that would convey my message properly. This one was difficult as I was not allowed to work with words, and my image had to portray the message its self. I started playing around with ideas: 
This one shows that the heart has been passed over to someone else. This image is very simple and I don't think its very effective. I tried different placements of the vectors and added an arrow to show the passage of the organs:


I thought that this one was better because it shows clearly what is happening, and the complex procedure is shown by the arrow. I was happy with my design but I changed the colours so it matched with the blue of my type only poster:

Embedded image permalink

I think this conveys a stronger message and the colours work really well together. It is clearer what is happening and it is easy to understand. 

I used the digital print resource to print my posters onto satin paper, and I am really pleased with how they turned out.


FEEDBACK:

From my final crit, I found that everyone enjoyed my posters and understood the message, here is some feedback that I got:
"Really like the image only poster, especially the use of colours in the heart, all posters work really well"
"-Type and image design is amazing!
- Nice typography
- Simple but gets the message across"
"Clear message throughout all 3 posters, really nice colour scheme, the image only is my favourite"
"Good use of type within image on the first poster. The image only works well. IT conveys the message simply and beautifully, in a calm way. Cool and calm colours"
"I like the shiny use of printing stock. The image is happy & friendly - the people look like keyholes or chess pieces, which reminds me of the queen of hearts = organ donation!"

I am really happy with the response to my posters, I feel like I have fit the brief and produced something I am proud of.

No comments:

Post a Comment