Wednesday 1 October 2014

OUGD403 - Study Task 1: What's My Type?


Studio Practice Study Task 1 had me thinking about what typeface from a list of 6 best suited my personality. There was a mixture of Serif and Sans Serif typefaces, which included Garamond, Bodoni, Century Expanded, Futura, Times Roman and Helvetica. 

This task was something new to me, looking at typefaces in different ways and looking at the small differences between them was something I hadn't really done before. It was quite difficult to begin with, as I didn't really have any idea of how to justify my choice, though researching each typeface and looking at them all separately has led me to a clear decision.


ABOUT ME: 

- I am happiest when I have great food in-front of me whilst watching good TV.
- My greatest fear is getting lost.
- My happiest memory is getting my picture taken by COW (a vintage shop).
- I can't remember any embarrassing moments as I have repressed all of them.
- Inconsiderate people make me unhappy.
- When I was younger I had a lot of different aspirations, including working in ASDA, being a vet, lawyer and art teacher.
- My favourite hobby is baking.
- My favourite place is anywhere warm and comfortable.

I have come to the conclusion that Futura is the typeface that represents me best. I was originally going to chose a Serif typeface (I don't really like Sans Serif), because I feel that they represent my work and my way of designing as I like detail and flourishes, but after researching Futura I feel its more relevant to my personality. Futura is used in the TV show UTOPIA which is one of my favourite shows. It was also used on the plaque that was placed on the moon. All of the strokes are all an even weight and the lowercase a is not a double story, which reflects mine (and most peoples) hand writing.

The other Sans Serif typeface from the list was Helvetica, and I didn't chose it over Futura because I usually don't like Sans Serif typefaces anyway and I think Futura has had a more interesting history and it fits with me more personally. 

FEEDBACK:

I presented my findings verbally to my group (without a slideshow), but I feel that after watching other peoples presentations mine could have been a bit more engaging. I think using presentation software is useful and having a visual aid can help people interact more with what I'm talking about. I will take this feedback into consideration when I next have to present, and will try and make mine more interesting with the use of software and visual aids. 
I was asked why I didn't particularly like Sans Serif fonts, and I feel that Serif fits me as a designer more. I like detail and put a lot of effort into my work, and Sans Serif looks quite boring to me, although it fits my personality better! 
I think people enjoyed what I had to say, my presentation was quite short and to the point. I explained why I chose Futura and not some other typefaces and how I came to my decision.
Overall I feel my presentation went well but there are still things I can improve on which I will take forward with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment