Monday 20 October 2014

OUDG403 - Vector Type Interim Crit

Idea generation and grids:

Today we had an interim crit for Study Task 2. For today we had to have prepared our chosen idea in at least 3 different letter forms and tried to apply a grid to it. By the end of this Study Task, we should have the entire alphabet in upper or lowercase (I'm going to try and do both if I have time), with our own bespoke grid to fit all the letters in. 


First of all, I took my typeface - Futura, and applied a grid to all of the letter forms in the uppercase: 






I feel like this has helped me with my grid development as I can now see the grids for each letter form in uppercase and determine which letters have similar patterns, such as O, C, G and D. 

After that, I went to make my typeface. After the final crit on Friday for Studio Brief 1, the feedback that I got was to make add serifs and make them quite pointy and scary, taking inspiration from Gothic architecture. Here is a rough drawing of my idea, with grids applied:



I have experimented with upper and lower case to see what they looked like and to see if my idea worked well with it. I also made some notes about some rules that will be applied to my typeface, such as the stems on the b and the d for example should be the same width, and an A could be a V turned upside down without the stem. I think that I should be recycling a lot of the letterforms. 
After I made some rules about this, and made some indications on my rough drawings about where the serifs should line up, I made a neater version:

I have also drawn out a rough grid at the bottom for uppercase and lowercase A and B, to see how they would fit together and if I could experiment with a grid successfully. I feel that the grid is going to be quite complicated because of the serifs, but I can remove any unnecessary lines when I have drawn the grid out for the entire alphabet. I have also made some slight changes to the counters in the lowercase. As futura is quite geometric, I wanted to get rid of some of the circular counters and make them more harsh with an abrupt vertical edge. I feel like this fits better with the direction that I'm taking my word.



Feedback:
I initially thought about changing the weight of futura and make it thinner, so that the serifs stand out more, but most of my group disagreed and said to keep it quite fat and chunky because it fits with my word better. I feel like I should experiment with the weighting anyway, and see if a mixed weighting would work better, but I will keep their feedback in mind.
Someone also said that I could try to put the serifs on more of a diagonal, rather than having them look like equilateral triangles, I could have them look more like an isosceles triangle, so it looks more pointed and jagged. I feel like this could work with my idea, so I'm going to experiment with it when I move my designs into illustrator, as it is easier to adjust and play around with.
It was also suggested to me that I could put serifs on other corners of the letters, for example the C only has a serif on the top, I could put another one on the bottom. I'm not really sure if I agree with this as my main concept for this idea was the hybrid side of grotesque, combining serifs and sans-serif in the same design. It wouldn't really work if  both edges had serifs.
Overall I found this interim crit useful and it has given me some ideas as to how I can move my project forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment