Monday 6 October 2014

OUDG403 - Alphabet Soup


This studio brief directly links in with the previous task - Whats My Type?
My chosen typeface from that task is the starting point for this brief. I must produce a set of 10 different letterforms in an adapted style of Futura to fit with a word I was given - Grotesque. 
Futura is a very simple, clean typeface and I feel that directly conflicts with the word I was given. Initial research into my word has shown me that grotesque can mean a lot of different things, for example:
- Ugly
- Distorted 
- Uncomfortable 
- Extreme
- Exaggerated features
- Caricature
- Inappropriate
- Shocking
- Hybrid
- Bizarre
I am going to try and incorporate each of these discriptive words into my 10 initial designs, and hopefully go beyond that. I have also found that grotesque is an art style, which "usually refers to something that simultaneously invokes in an audience a feeling of uncomfortable bizarreness". I feel that further research into this would prove useful, and it could be something that I can use and develop in my type designs.
Gothic buildings are often described as grotesque, so I'm going to conduct more research into them and take some inspiration from the architecture.
I have also found a definition of grotesque that I found interesting:
"A style of decorative painting or sculpture consisting of the interweaving of human and animal forms within flowers and foliage."
I think that this could work really well and I could make some weird and wonderful type from this definition. It is going to be thought-provoking and difficult to try and merge this idea with Futura, as it is very simplistic, sharp and geometric, but I feel that its going to give some really cool results. 
I'm looking forward to starting this project and I already have a few ideas to get me going. 

No comments:

Post a Comment