Thursday 3 December 2015

OUGD504 | STUDIO BRIEF 4 | IDEA DEVELOPMENT

To start off this brief I decided to create a tour poster to nail down the aesthetic I wanted to go for. The album cover features a grungy looking wall, so I decided to play on this by using a similar style for the poster. I found a suitable wall with graffiti on it where I live, and settled on using this for my design.


The empty wall space and gives a good amount of room for text and information, while the sunshine is quite an iconic looking symbol for the tour. I played around with it on PhotoShop, making it black and white to fit with the grungy aesthetic of the existing artwork.


After this, I started adding information to it. The tour needs to be large as it's a worldwide tour, so I looked online and took dates from a previous world tour that they did in 1996. The font that I have used here is called Haettenschweiler, and it's appearance is very strong and impacting.

 I left a white border around the poster to make "The Smashing Pumpkins" look most important, and what your eye is drawn to first. I kept a theme of monochrome throughout the poster which can be associated with the original album artwork:


I tried to adapt this style to a website, using the same sunshine image but it was difficult to lay out to create a user friendly environment that also looks visually pleasing. I wanted to include gifs onto my main page that gave off a clue every week. I started to develop this, trying to keep the gif as hard to read as possible to make the user think: 




I made 2 versions, but decided to go for the white version in my final layout mockup but at a faster pace. This is the first layout that I created:


The main aim of this first page is to create hype among the fans. The image is there to create consistency between the poster and the website. I'm still unsure about the layout because it doesn't 
look like a traditional website, or really have anything that stands out to fans. I continued this style of layout with the other clues, changing the website as time went on to show that the site was developing with the lead up to the announcement. 



I changed the week 2 website to negative, then on the week 3 website the images were placed together to create what looks like a street corner. The gif on week 2 is coordinates flashing and changing each time, but only 1 coordinate is right, and is in the place of the secret gig (Chicago). The week 3 gif is the date of the secret gig (and also album launch), in roman numerals. This clue is probably the easiest to figure out, but I couldn't really think of any other way to make the audience think about the clue without it being too difficult to understand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment