Tuesday 29 September 2015

OUGD504 | STUDIO BRIEF 1 | FOLDING

Experimenting with folds is important for this brief. Looking at images of folds to get an idea of what you want to go for is good, but actually feeling the paper and the way the fold works is essential. I looked in the book called "How To Fold" for some inspiration, and I liked these ones in particular:








After looking at these folds I created some of my own versions using plain a4 paper:



This fold is called an incline tab variation. I like the simplicity and the varying heights of the folds, but when you open it, it's quite complicated and doesn't flow nicely.



This fold has 3 different heights and wraps around its self neatly. I liked this fold but I think it would be difficult to get it to work exactly, as it doesn't fully fit when closed (see second picture).




This fold is very simple and looks like an M shape when opened. It has a small tab at the side when closed, which could be utilised really well within a leaflet. I think this is my favourite so far, because it's the most simple but has opportunities for interesting design.


This fold is also very simple, and has 2 tabs on the side that have been cut out. I like this one too, but the tabs seem quite pointless for the kind of leaflet that I'm creating, especially since they're on the back side of the leaflet and won't really be utilised.


I also tried a simple fold myself, by folding the paper just over half way, then bringing some back and folding a small triangle over the front to make it a bit more interesting and give myself some opportunities to design on.

Once I'd made a few folds on paper, I decided to use better stock to showcase my final folds that I liked the best.



In the end my favourite 3 folds were the most simple. The first one is the fold with the small tab that is shown on the front, As stated before, this design is one of the front runners for me because of its simplicity and the idea of having a tab on the edge will give me some great design opportunities.

The second one is a larger version of the fold I created myself. I like this one because of the turned edge and how it's not a standard 50/50 fold. It has a lot of space for information inside and I'd be able to make columns and grids quite easily with this fold.

The final one is a diagonal looking leaflet, cut with one diagonal line rather than the fold used previously (incline tab variation). Again, the different levels give a nice dimension to the leaflet and could be used to make the leaflet aesthetically pleasing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment