Thursday 14 April 2016

OUGD503 | MODULE EVALUATION

The responsive module has been a really great module to explore different types of briefs. My practice has developed throughout this module and I’ve felt that responding to briefs that are similar to industry level has improved my skills as a designer.

Choosing which briefs to respond to has highly improved my level of work, as I could decide what would suit my style the most. I wanted to create vibrant, fun designs and portray my personality through my work. Responsive has allowed me to do this and apply it to other projects that I have been working on.

Throughout this module I’ve developed a personal style and felt comfortable when creating work. I’ve also taken the oppertunity to submit to competitions seriously and tried to create work that I was not only proud of, but I thought had a chance of winning. The YCN Feel Good Drinks brief was the substantial brief I undertook for Individual Practice. It was a brief that allowed me to be experimental, not giving set deliverables and encouraged creativity. I felt this really opened up my practice and led me to create a resolution that met the targets set by Feel Good, but also work that I was really happy with. 

The smaller briefs in Individual Practice allowed me to work quickly and produce work that was mostly aesthetically driven. Secret 7 was a very liberating brief in the module as it didn’t need a concept as much as the other projects. This was one of the briefs I enjoyed the most as I could design something simply driven by how it looks. 

Collaborative Practice showed me what it was like to work with creatives from other fields. We chose Adobe as it was a brief that fit all of our creative talents and let us all contribute equally to the project. As we work very differently, it was difficult to get timings right and create a fully polished piece. It was interesting to see the process of different creatives throughout this module, and working together we met the deadline. Though I wasn’t extremely happy with the outcome, collaborative practice has given me an insight of how to work with other creatives and how to manage time within a group. It also widened my experiences and allowed me to work with a really talented group of people. 

Reflecting on this module, I feel I could have improved on my initial idea generation and research. I didn’t pursue any other ideas once I had settled which could limit my final idea. Sometimes this was due to the time restriction of the briefs, e.g. Secret 7. Generating other ideas and capitalising on a few is something I will work on in further modules. This also means that I could organise my time better, ensuring I have enough time to work on other ideas and develop them appropriately. 


Overall I felt the module has been extremely beneficial to my design practice as a whole. It was very exciting to take part in so many competition briefs and create work that could potentially win. Responsive ignited passions within design that I never knew I had, e.g. packaging design and children's design, both of which I’m looking forward to pursuing in the future. I also have goals to work towards in future modules which will help improve my practice as a whole. 

No comments:

Post a Comment